Helinika is a cross-media platform dedicated to the modern Greek language, history, and culture. Helinika’s mission is to help people around the word get in touch with the modern version of one of the oldest languages and cultures in the world: Greek.
Helinika is not just helinika.com. Every social media account and video platform is part of Helinika’s brand identity.
Each platform has its own characteristics. Instagram is focused on images and travel photos from Greece. YouTube provides
free video content and Udemy has a complete course series. Everything is combined together at helinika.com.
“Helinika is an online platform with educational videos and entertaining – informative content.” -The Huffington Post Greece
“The most interesting online platform for learning Greek.” – ipop
What does “Helinika” mean?
Who Can Use Helinika for Learning Greek?
Helinika can be used by anyone who wants to learn Greek; no prior knowledge of Greek is required. The cross-media platform is often used by non-native speakers and also by members of the Greek diaspora.
Helinika’s Principles & Values
- Freedom of Expression – the principle that supports formulating opinions without fear of retaliation. Helinika believes that opinions should be expressed freely. Ideas can only be dangerous when suppressed or accepted without critical thinking. This takes us onto Helinika’s second principle:
- Critical Thinking – the objective analysis and evaluation of an issue in order to form a judgement. Freedom of expression cannot survive without critical thinking. The absence of it can only lead to the suppression of one group of ideas and the forced mass acceptance of another.
- One Truth – there are various viewpoints and multiple ways to tell a story. However, contrary to our post-modern society’s preference for subjectivity, there are not multiple truths. Helinika researches each and one topic with the aim of discovering The Truth, following the Socratic tradition.
- Cultural Heritage Preservation – keeping the artifacts and traditions of a community intact is crucial in the preservation of our uniqueness. Helinika believes in the cultural continuity of nations throughout the centuries. Cultural evolutions and mixes do exist and can be beneficial. However, the attempts to form one global culture can only result in the elimination of minority cultures.
- Metron – the Greek concept of “metron” (μέτρον) is usually translated as the “golden mean” or the “golden middle way”. Helinika agrees with Aristotle’s idea of finding the middle between two extremes.
Who is the Founder of Helinika.com?
Helinika.com was founded on January 2020 by Marialena Perpiraki, a Journalist and Content Marketing expert who has had the opportunity to teach Greek to foreigners while living abroad.
Marialena was born and raised in Athens, Greece, and she is a native Greek speaker. She has worked for the Greek edition of the Huffington Post and she has a Bachelor’s of Arts and a Master’s of Science in Media and Communications. Since 2021, she owns a Multimedia Agency based in Austria, providing SEO and Copywriting services.
“Helinika is more than a platform for learning Greek; it is the place to be when longing for something Greek.”-Marialena Perpiraki, founder of Helinika
How Can You Learn Greek with Helinika?
Helinika helps people learn Greek by offering:
- affordable video courses with downloadable materials and exercises.
- free resources for practicing their Greek skills.